A US study has found that residents of polluted cities such as New York, LA and Chicago have a greater risk of developing dry eye syndrome.
https://www.hammondopticians.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/hammond-opticians-enfield.png 0 0 hammondopticians https://www.hammondopticians.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/hammond-opticians-enfield.png hammondopticians2013-12-08 12:44:042013-12-06 12:44:42More dry eye problems in polluted areas
Using publicly held data, researchers reviewed the health records of over 600,000 veterans who were treated for dry eye syndrome between 2006 and 2011.
It was found that subjects located in or around New York were 3-4 times more likely to be diagnosed with dry eye symptoms compared to those living in areas with relatively little air pollution.
Altitude was also noted as a risk factor, with those living in high altitude areas having a 13% greater risk of suffering from dry eye.
The study encourages eye care professionals to be aware of the association between environmental factors and dry eye and to consider modifying these as part of the dry eye management.
Other better known risk factors for dry eye problems include concentrated visual tasks such as long periods spent looking at computers or driving, smoking and use of certain medications like anti-histamines.
If you suffer from dry eye type symptoms, why not book in to see one of our specialists for a Comfort Eyes Consultation?
- Francis Klein – Product of the Season – Spring 202118/05/2021 - 11:34 am
- Spring Saver – Save on Frames and Lenses31/03/2021 - 5:10 pm
- Care from Hammond Opticians during Covid-19 Pandemic19/05/2020 - 11:42 am
- A Trip Down Memory Lane02/05/2020 - 4:22 pm
- Our Winter Sale has now started!04/12/2018 - 8:20 am
- Hammond Opticians Awarded23/11/2018 - 6:18 pm
- Proud sponsors of Enfield Christmas Parade of Lights23/11/2018 - 8:00 am
- Our Black Friday sale has started!16/11/2018 - 3:04 pm