Advancements in the understanding of why the human immune system can attack tissues and lead to the development of eye and kidney disease have been reported by researchers at the University of Manchester.
https://www.hammondopticians.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/hammond-opticians-enfield.png 0 0 hammondopticians https://www.hammondopticians.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/hammond-opticians-enfield.png hammondopticians2013-04-15 08:12:102013-03-30 08:12:55New treatments for Macular Degeneration?
It is believed the findings could lead to the development of new treatments for age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
According to scientists, AMD can be associated with a protein called the complement factor H (CFH) which is present in the immune system and is responsible for regulating the complement cascade. A genetic alteration in CFH has been found to increase a person’s risk of developing AMD. However, due to its rarity, it has never been explored before.
The two research groups, led by professors Tony Day and Paul Bishop, found that a common form of CFH, when altered, couldn’t bind properly to a layer under the retina called Bruch’s membrane. A reduced amount of CFH in this part of the eye leads to low level inflammation and tissue damage, which can eventually lead to AMD.
Professor Day explained: “For the first time we’ve been able to identify why these protein mutations are so specific. We’re hoping our discovery will open the door to the development of tissue specific treatments to help the millions of people diagnosed with AMD every year.”
Researchers investigated two parts of CFH affected by the mutations, comparing the way the different regions of protein interacted with eye and kidney tissue.
- Spring Saver – Save on Frames and Lenses31/03/2021 - 5:10 pm
- Care from Hammond Opticians during Covid-19 Pandemic19/05/2020 - 11:42 am
- A Trip Down Memory Lane02/05/2020 - 4:22 pm
- Our Winter Sale has now started!04/12/2018 - 8:20 am
- Hammond Opticians Awarded23/11/2018 - 6:18 pm
- Proud sponsors of Enfield Christmas Parade of Lights23/11/2018 - 8:00 am
- Our Black Friday sale has started!16/11/2018 - 3:04 pm
- Lacri-Fresh: Your solution to dry eyes01/05/2018 - 8:23 am