Two researchers from the University of South Wales in Sydney have claimed that hyperopic orthokeratology (OK) contact lenses can improve near visual acuity in emmetropic presbyopic patients (people who need glasses only for reading in later life) in just seven days.
https://www.hammondopticians.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/hammond-opticians-enfield.png 0 0 hammondopticians https://www.hammondopticians.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/hammond-opticians-enfield.png hammondopticians2013-05-02 10:33:152021-04-21 16:14:41Ortho-Keratology contact lenses restore near vision in just seven days
Sixteen adult patients were fitted in one eye with hyperopic orthokeratology (OK) lenses targeted to correct +2.00D. The patients wore the lenses overnight for seven days. Changes in subjective refraction and corneal topography were measured in the morning of lens removal and eight hours after lens removal.
Reporting their findings in the journal Optometry and Vision Science, Paul Gifford and Helen Swarbrick said that, after just one day, hyperopic OK caused a -1.00D shift in best vision sphere refraction. At day seven the change from baseline was -0.97D.
This led to an improvement in monocular near visual acuity from Jaeger 10.8 at baseline to Jaeger 3.9 at day seven.
They note that binocular distance visual acuity did not change from baseline. “Lack of change in binocular distance VA indicates that hyperopic OK offers a viable option for proving monovision correction in emmetropic presbyopia.”
- Francis Klein – Product of the Season – Spring 202118/05/2021 - 11:34 am
- Spring Saver – Save on Frames and Lenses31/03/2021 - 5:10 pm
- Care from Hammond Opticians during Covid-19 Pandemic19/05/2020 - 11:42 am
- A Trip Down Memory Lane02/05/2020 - 4:22 pm
- Our Winter Sale has now started!04/12/2018 - 8:20 am
- Hammond Opticians Awarded23/11/2018 - 6:18 pm
- Proud sponsors of Enfield Christmas Parade of Lights23/11/2018 - 8:00 am
- Our Black Friday sale has started!16/11/2018 - 3:04 pm